3rd person dead after San Bernardino nightclub shootings

3rd person dead after San Bernardino nightclub shootings
People console one another outside the emergency room entrance to Loma Linda Medical Center after two shootouts in San Bernardino. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

A third person has died after a pair of shootings early Wednesday outside a San Bernardino nightclub, police said.

Teron Reed, 33, of San Bernardino died Thursday morning after being wounded along with others when members of a motorcycle club opened fire on a rival group outside Stinger's Bar and Nightclub and at a nearby Arco gas station before 2 a.m., according to San Bernardino police.


The two others died were identified as Petetrial Michael Scott, 28, and Jerry Jamale Jackson, 36, both of San Bernardino.

On Thursday, detectives served a series of search warrants that led to several arrests and "a bunch of weapons" being seized, said Lt. Rich Lawhead.

Authorities arrested Vincent Malone, 30, of San Bernardino on suspicion of murder. Police believe more people were involved.

According to police, members of the Deuces motorcycle club were inside the bar on Taco Tuesday, and a rival group tried to enter. Police said they had already been called to the nightclub to ask the rival group to leave.

As patrons spilled into the parking lot about 1:45 a.m., pandemonium ensued. Witnesses said 20 to 30 shots rang out, cars and motorcycles collided as people fled, and victims began to fall.

"People were screaming, 'I'm hit! I'm hit!' right in front of the door," one witness said.

A Deuces member he described as Lil' Dice hobbled back inside, apparently wounded.

"He ran back inside to get protection. He was limping and trying to get to the back door," he said. "A woman was shot too."

Moments later, three blocks northeast, more shots rang out at the Arco service station at East Redlands Boulevard and Waterman Avenue, according to police.

Authorities said they were still trying to sort out what started the melee and who fired the shots.

"I have no idea what was said," Lawhead said. "Sometimes all it takes is a word to get it started."

A witness said the club was packed with people attending a comedy show and dancing when he arrived just after 1 a.m.

But as patrons filed out the door, the gun battle began, said the witness, who did not want to reveal his name because he was still dealing with authorities.

Tensions flared anew hours later Wednesday at Loma Linda University Medical Center, where about 75 people, many of them members of the bike group, gathered to learn the fate of relatives and friends.


"They were upset after the coroner gave them the news," said Cindy Bachman, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

The group became combative when hospital employees asked them to remain outside, and officers had to intervene, Bachman said.

One person threw hot coffee on a San Bernardino police detective, she said.

By late morning, the emergency room was empty, save for a small huddled group, some of them with leather jackets that read "Deuces."

About 9 a.m., a group of motorcyclists rumbled down Campus Street, their thundering bikes honking at family members and friends trickling out of the hospital.

Among them was Edward Kelly, who said his friend "AWOL," also called Lil' Dice, was killed in the shootings. Kelly said he was unsure if any rival motorcycle clubs had a hand in the violence.

A lowrider himself, he rode with the Deuces only a few times.

"They ain't no gangbangers," he said.

For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.