World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman said Wednesay in a visit to Los Angeles that he’s involved in negotiations that would call for the winner of a Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Miguel Cotto fight in November to meet unbeaten Gennady Golovkin next.
“We’re just waiting for the parties to sign off and notify us that’s the way they’re going to proceed,” Sulaiman said.
Alvarez promoter Oscar De La Hoya told The Times in a text message Wednesday afternoon that there is “nothing done” yet regarding an Alvarez-Cotto bout for Cotto’s WBC middleweight belt, but others close to the deal described it as close.
Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler, who has been in talks with Cotto’s representatives, told The Times on Wednesday that, “my understanding is they have an agreement in place,” for Alvarez-Cotto with a date (probably Nov. 21 or Nov. 28) and venue (Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles or a Texas site) under discussion.
After a technical-knockout win over Willie Monroe at the Forum on May 16, Golovkin (33-0, 30 knockouts) is the WBC’s interim middleweight champion, and is owed a mandatory title defense by Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs), who scored a TKO of Daniel Geale June 6 in Brooklyn.
“Cotto can’t defend his title without an agreement in place to fight Gennady next,” said Loeffler, citing a recent WBC resolution for support. “We can’t prevent that Cotto-Canelo fight from happening. But the winner has to agree to fight Gennady for the title to be at stake.
“And my understanding is they want to defend the title against Canelo.”
Loeffler expressed skepticism that Cotto, 34, wants to fight Golovkin, 33.
“We haven’t reached an agreement yet … so [talks] are ongoing,” Loeffler said.
World Boxing Assn. champion Golovkin wants to fight again in September, possibly against the winner of Saturday’s International Boxing Federation title bout between Canada’s David Lemieux and Hassan N’Dam.
AS FOR MAYWEATHER … : Sulaiman said he’ll work to have a personal meeting by the end of the month with unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr., who owns the WBC welterweight and junior-middleweight belts, but said after beating Manny Pacquiao last month that he wants to relinquish both for younger fighters to experience a title.
The belts are “not relinquished yet,” Sulaiman said.
“We saw the press conference after the fight. It happens often before and after a fight that fighters make comments or statements that aren’t necessarily their feelings or their plans. We have to understand the tremendous exhaustion and pressure, physically and mentally, that they’ve been through. I’m going to address this personally with Floyd this month and see exactly what his position is, and then go from there.”
Sulaiman said Mayweather “deserves time to relax and enjoy the success.
“There is no pressure. He has been a WBC champion for 17 years, he’s dominated the best of the best in five divisions, and he’s one of the most loyal fighters we’ve ever had. He’s always given us his fullest respect.”
One speculated motive of Mayweather’s is the possible interest of his manager, Al Haymon, to stop dealing with sanctioning bodies. Perhaps, some boxing officials have theorized, Haymon wants to have fighters who participate in his Premier Boxing Champions Series, fight for PBC “titles.”
“I have no concerns about that happening,” Sulaiman said. “If we were to be concerned with every gossip that comes in boxing, we would not sleep at night.
“I’m fully supportive of the PBC model, putting boxing on free television …to have it free, on cable and pay-per-view here in the U.S., it’s the perfect scenario to allow the sport to flourish.”
STRIP SHOW: Sulaiman said he opted last week to strip 140-pound (junior-welterweight) champion Danny Garcia of his WBC belt because the unbeaten fighter hasn’t made 140 pounds in 14 months, and recently agreed to a welterweight (147) bout against Paulie Malignaggi.
“He simply cannot make 140 safely, so the championship is vacant and we’ve ordered Lucas Matthysse and Viktor Postol to fight for the vacant belt,” Sulaiman said.
GOOD CAUSE: Sulaiman was in Los Angeles to announce a July 8 fund-raising golf tournament at Morongo Casino’s Tukwet Canyon Golf Course in Beaumont. Money raised will go to WBC Cares’ Retired Boxers Fund.
“From all the running, training, making weight that boxers have done from the first day of their careers, supporting others, they were never able to enjoy life,” Sulaiman said. “Few know what it means to be inside the four ropes.”
Now, Sulaiman said, some of those fighters need help.
Former boxers from Southern California, including Bobby Chacon and Danny “Little Red” Lopez, stand to benefit from the tournament, as do many others who require money for “expenses, food and medical needs,” Sulaiman said.
For information about participating or sponsoring, contact Ruben Castillo at email@example.com, or 626-498-3151.