Collins reportedly signed with the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday after the once highly-thought of offensive tackle, at one time projected as a high first-round talent, went undrafted after news came out that his pregnant ex-girlfriend had been killed and that police wanted to speak with him.
Collins, who was never named a suspect by Baton Rouge police, attempted to have his name withdrawn from the draft so he could become eligible for the supplemental draft, but his request was denied by the league.
His agent said Collins would not sign a contract to play in 2015 if he went undrafted through the third round. That no longer appears to be the case.
Collins' deal with the Cowboys is a fully guaranteed three-year contract worth $1.7-million, the maximum amount he can earn as an undrafted player at the league minimum salary for the next three years.
"I can tell you what, our greatest moments are ahead of us," Collins said during his introductory news conference. "This is going to be the best offensive line in NFL history."
NFL.com first reported the agreement between Dallas and Collins.
Players drafted in the first round are eligible for four-year deals with an option for a fifth and can receive massive signing bonuses. In 2014, first round picks received between $14-million and $3-million in bonuses.
"I never played the game for money," Collins said. "And at the end of the day, it's way more than I was getting in college."
On Wednesday, the Advocate reported that a paternity test had revealed Collins was not the father of the dead woman's baby.
Despite the loss in potential salary, Collins was afforded the unique opportunity to select his future team.
Collins said he and his agent broke down his opportunities at all 32 teams before ultimately deciding to join the Cowboys.
Follow Matt Wilhalme on Twitter @mattwilhalme