Dear SOS: The quiche from Le Pain Quotidien with ham and leeks is the very best. Do you have the recipe?
Dear Thora: Le Pain Quotidien's quiche combines generous amounts of sautéed leeks and onions, diced ham and grated Swiss cheese suspended in a fluffy egg filling and baked in a crisp, buttery pastry crust. Lavish? Maybe, but you'll still want seconds.
Total time: 1 1/2 hours, plus chilling time
Note: Adapted from Le Pain Quotidien.
1 3/4 cups diced leeks, white and light green only (from about 2 large leeks)
3/4 cup diced onion
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter
4 eggs, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 cups diced ham ( 1/4 -inch dice)
3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Sauté the leeks and onions in the olive oil 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized, occasionally stirring. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer (or a mixing bowl), combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Add the butter and mix with the paddle attachment (or by hand with a fork) until combined. Add one egg; mix until dough forms.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate and press to remove any air bubbles. Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. While the quiche shell chills, mix the heavy cream and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining three eggs. Add a pinch each nutmeg, salt and pepper and combine to form a batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Remove the quiche shell from the refrigerator and spread the leek and onion mixture evenly over the base. Sprinkle the ham and then the cheese over the leeks and onions. Pour in the batter and place the quiche in the oven.
6. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Each of 8 servings: 450 calories; 15 grams protein; 23 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 33 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 190 mg. cholesterol; 566 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times