CALIFORNIA
Sign up for the Essential California newsletter to get great stories delivered to your inbox
World World Now

Britain's Prince Philip in hospital for 'exploratory' surgery

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II's husband has been admitted to a London hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.

The palace said the operation on 91-year-old Prince Philip, which will take place Friday, was preplanned and comes after “abdominal investigations” that were carried out over the last week.

“He is in good spirits,” a palace spokeswoman said. She declined to elaborate on Philip's condition or when the decision was made to operate, saying only that Philip is expected to be in the London Clinic for up to two weeks and that further updates will be issued “when appropriate.”

The London Clinic, a private hospital and longtime favorite of celebrities and royals, declined to comment.

Philip was driven by car to the hospital shortly after attending a Buckingham Palace garden party hosted by the queen. Footage from the party showed him smiling and chatting with guests as he walked around the garden.

British Prime Minister David Cameron sent Philip his best wishes via Twitter, writing that he hopes the queen's husband has a “swift recovery.”

Philip turns 92 on June 10. His health was in the spotlight last summer when he spent almost a week in the hospital after a recurrence of a bladder infection.

The queen is expected to carry out her scheduled engagements as planned Friday, which include a visit to the new BBC studios in central London.

ALSO:

Syria loyalists in Damascus cheered by Qusair victory

Austria to pull its U.N. peacekeepers from Golan Heights

Mexican army frees 165 immigrants held at gunpoint

Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times
Related Content
Comments
Loading