Judge postpones actor Michael Jace’s arraignment on murder charges
An arraignment for actor Michael Jace, who is charged with murder in the shooting death of his wife, was postponed Thursday.
The 51-year-old regular on “The Shield” remained in custody on a charge of murder with a gun during his first appearance in Los Angeles County Superior Court downtown.
Judge Renee Korn moved the arraignment to June 18 at the request of Jace’s attorney and set bail at $2 million.
“He’s doing as well as somebody is that is in custody,” the actor’s attorney, Jason Sias, said outside of the courtroom. “He just wants to see this through.”
Jace has been thinking about his two sons, Sias said.
The boys, both of whom are younger than 10, had been inside the couple’s Hyde Park home, where police found the body of April Jace, 40, Monday evening.
The boys were not harmed. April Jace suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body.
“We just want to express our deepest sympathy to the family,” Sias said.
Mark Robles and his son, Alex Robles, appeared in court to show support for the children. The father and son taught the defendant and his sons jiu-jitsu at their La Mirada studio.
Michael Jace began taking his sons to the martial arts classes a year and a half ago so they could learn how to defend themselves from bullies, Mark Robles said.
Soon after, Michael Jace enrolled in classes, never exhibiting violent tendencies, said Mark Robles, adding that he found the actor who often played cops on TV as “sweet.”
“He was not an aggressive-type at all,” Michael Robles said. “That’s why this seems very out character.”
The Jaces, he said, “looked like a couple that were in love.”
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.