Total time: 20 minutes
Note: From "The Gourmet Cookbook, Volume 1"
4 egg yolks
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into three parts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Combine the egg yolks in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir in the cubes of butter, piece by piece, stirring constantly. Remove from heat as the last piece melts.
2. Add the lemon juice. Taste, season. If the sauce curdles, add a chip of ice and stir.
Eggs and assembly
12 strips Canadian bacon
6 English muffins
1. Grill the bacon, reserve in a warm oven. Split and toast the muffins, (allowing for some more cooking while they stand). Reserve in a warm oven. Heat 6 plates in the oven.
2. Fill a broad-faced frying pan half full of water, and bring the water to a simmer. Carefully crack the eggs into the water a few at a time. Poach the eggs (3 minutes for soft runny eggs), trimming away any straggly whites. When the eggs are almost cooked, using a slotted spoon, remove them to warm water and continue poaching until all the eggs are done.
3. Arrange the muffin halves on plates. Cover each with a slice of bacon, then an egg, then a generous spoonful or two of hollandaise sauce. Serve with well-drained, steamed spinach and a good Chardonnay.
Each serving: 550 calories; 30 grams protein; 28 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 34 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 634 mg. cholesterol; 1,111 mg. Sodium