Dear SOS: If you could obtain the recipe for chicken Gorgonzola with spinach from La Finestra restaurant, we would be forever grateful. This entree has to be the most delicious chicken recipe ever!
Paul and Martha Cohen
Dear Paul and Martha: La Finestra was happy to share its recipe for this colorful, rich and comforting dish.
Petto di pollo con Gorgonzola
Total time: About 1 hour
Servings: 4 to 8
Note: Adapted from La Finestra
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese
2 pounds fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour to dredge the chicken, about 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, preferably whole milk
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Reduce the heat to a good simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until it is thickened and reduced by about half, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the Gorgonzola and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted and combined with the cream, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve in a warm place.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch the spinach to bring out the color, then drain and shock in a bowl of ice water. Drain again, pressing out all excess water. Set aside.
3. Pound the chicken: Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to a thickness of one-fourth inch without tearing. Season each breast with a pinch of salt and pepper on each side, then dredge in flour to coat.
4. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot, then brown the chicken on each side, one piece at a time, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Adjust the heat as needed to keep the chicken from burning, and add oil as needed to keep a thin film on the bottom of the pan. Remove the chicken to a platter to keep warm.
5. In the same sauté pan, add a little oil if needed to maintain a thin film, then stir in the garlic. Cook over medium-heat just until aromatic. Stir in the spinach, then the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for a minute or so to merge the flavors. Remove from heat. 6. Heat the broiler and place each chicken breast on an oven-proof plate. Spoon one-fourth of the cream and spinach over each breast, then evenly sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over each portion.
7. Place each plate briefly under the broiler to melt the cheese and brown the sauce slightly. Sprinkle the plates with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Each of 8 servings: 471 calories; 25 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 37 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 149 mg. cholesterol; 1 gram sugar; 437 mg. sodium.
Recipe: Petto di pollo con Gorgonzola at La Finestra
(Kirk McKoy / Los Angeles Times)
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Los Angeles Times welcomes civil dialogue about our stories; you must register with the site to participate. We filter comments for language and adherence to our Terms of Service, but not for factual accuracy. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.