Skip to content
Recipe: Harris Ranch buttermilk biscuits
Dear SOS: I recently ate at Harris Ranch Restaurant (located off Interstate 5 at the Coalinga exit) and was very impressed with their biscuits, as they reminded me of happy memories of my childhood. I wanted to buy some to take to my sisters, but the restaurant/bakery does not sell biscuits to the public. I would appreciate it if you can obtain the recipe for me. Thank you.
Dear Selena: These biscuits are crisp and golden on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside, and they have just the right hint of tang from the buttermilk. While they are a perfect accompaniment to breakfast or dinner, they might be best savored simply on their own, slightly warmed with just a little softened butter and honey.
Harris Ranch buttermilk biscuits
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 10 biscuits
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of baking soda
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup lard or cold butter, cut into 1-inch pieces.
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Cut the lard or butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or fork until it is reduced to the size of small peas.
3. Stir the buttermilk and egg mixture into the flour mixture just until combined to form the biscuit dough; do not over-mix.
4. Remove the biscuit dough to a lightly floured board and pat to a thickness of 1 inch. Cut the dough into rounds using a 2 1/2 -inch cutter and place the biscuits close together on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake the biscuits until light, fluffy and golden-brown, about 30 minutes.
Each biscuit: 283 calories; 5 grams protein; 32 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 15 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 35 mg. cholesterol; 360 mg. sodium.
Send SOS requests to: email@example.com Culinary SOS, Food, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012. Please include your name and phone number and the restaurant's phone number.