Dried shrimp can be found at Asian markets.
Active Work and Preparation Time: 55 minutes
1 1/2 pounds kabocha squash, unpeeled
1/2 cup baby dried shrimp
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound bean sprouts
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
* Wash and quarter squash and remove seeds. Coarsely grate squash and carrots in food processor or with hand grater. Transfer to large bowl and add baby dried shrimp, shrimp, bean sprouts, green onions, salt and pepper.
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon pepper
* Combine soy sauce, vinegar, onion, garlic and pepper and mix well.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/2 cups water
Oil for frying
* Combine flour, salt, eggs, cayenne and water and mix thoroughly.
* Add batter to Squash and mix well. Form into palm-size 2-inch-thick fritters.
* Heat 1/4 inch oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry fritters until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
* Spoon Sauce over fritters.