Times Test Kitchen Cook Mayi Brady regularly creates recipes for our Quick Fix and Second Helpings columns. When that far-away look in her eye turns to a glimmer, you know she has something good in mind. This spicy, filling soup by Brady was published as a Quick Fix in late July--prime swimsuit season, she noted--when you don't want to eat a lot but do want something satisfying. The way we put it away, bathing suit profiles didn't seem to matter.
Active Work and Total Preparation Time:
25 minutes * Vegetarian
1 tablespoon oil
2 onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ear corn, husk and silk removed
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 chipotle chile packed in adobo sauce, or more to taste
4 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
1/4 pound Jack cheese, grated
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup tortilla strips
* Heat oil over medium-high heat, add onions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, covered, 10 minutes.
* While onions and garlic cook, roast corn in dry skillet over high heat until slightly charred, turning so it does not burn, about 5 minutes. Cut kernels from cob and set aside.
* Add tomato paste and chipotle to onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes.
* While soup simmers, chop avocado.
* Puree soup in blender. Divide cheese, avocado, cilantro, corn and tortilla strips among four bowls and ladle soup over top.