A 57-year-old Oceanside man pleaded not guilty Friday to an arson charge stemming from a 105-acre fire.
Still, Dumanis said the maximum penalty could be seven years in prison.
In Escondido, Isaiah Silva, 19, and a 17-year-old were arrested Thursday night on suspicion of setting two small fires. Police do not suspect them of any involvement in the larger fires.
San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said a man was arrested after he drove into the driveway of a home where the owners had been evacuated because of the Cocos fire. The man had an outstanding warrant for burglary, she said.
Firefighters were getting the upper hand Friday on several of the fires as a new one broke out at Camp Pendleton, forcing more evacuations.
Firefighters had no containment on the latest blaze as they continued to battle other wildfires on base. Brush fires have scorched nearly 20,000 acres in San Diego County, nearly double the last assessment, officials announced Friday afternoon.
Eleven brush fires in the area have burned 19,826 acres since they first started Tuesday, San Diego County Supervisor Dianne Jacob said.
The fires prompted thousands of evacuation orders, a massive firefighting response involving agencies from throughout Southern California and an emergency declaration by Gov.
Six of the fires, including the destructive Poinsettia fire in Carlsbad, have been fully contained, officials announced at an afternoon news conference.
About 1,000 firefighters, however, continue to battle the Cocos fire in San Marcos, which was just 10% contained and has so far destroyed three homes.
The 6,300-acre Tomahawk fire at the adjacent Naval Weapons Station Fallbrook also continued to rage.
The fire season, she added, has only just begun.