That same year, San Francisco adopted an ordinance that gave official city recognition to salons that use toxic-free products.
Last year, Alameda County created a program that recognized nail salons that used healthier products.
The state also agreed to review a host of consumer products that contain chemicals, and nail polish is one.
But some activists have sought more aggressive regulations, which some nail salon owners have opposed.
A report from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration outlined some of the chemicals used in nail salons that can cause health issues for workers:
* Acetone (nail polish remover): headaches; dizziness and irritated eyes, skin and throat
* Acetonitrile (fingernail glue remover): irritated nose and throat; breathing problems; nausea; vomiting; weakness and exhaustion
* Butyl acetate (nail polish, nail polish remover): headaches and irritated eyes, skin, nose, mouth and throat
* Dibutyl phthalate (DBP), (nail polish): nausea and irritated eyes, skin, nose, mouth and throat. Long-term exposures to high concentrations may cause other serious effects.
* Ethyl acetate (nail polish, nail polish remover, fingernail glue): irritated eyes, stomach, skin, nose, mouth and throat. High levels can cause fainting.
* Ethyl methacrylate (EMA), (artificial nail liquid): asthma; irritated eyes, skin, nose and mouth; difficulty concentrating. Exposures while pregnant may affect the fetus.
* Formaldehyde (nail polish, nail hardener): difficulty breathing, including coughing, asthma-like attacks and wheezing; allergic reactions; irritated eyes, skin and throat. Formaldehyde can cause cancer.
* Isopropyl acetate (nail polish, nail polish remover): sleepiness and irritated eyes, nose and throat
* Methacrylic acid (nail primer): skin burns and irritated eyes, skin, nose, mouth and throat. At higher concentrations, this chemical can cause difficulty breathing.
* Methyl methacrylate (MMA), (artificial nail products, though banned for use in many states): asthma; irritated eyes, skin, nose and mouth; difficulty concentrating; loss of smell
* Quaternary ammonium compounds (disinfectants): irritated skin and nose and may cause asthma
* Toluene (nail polish, fingernail glue): dry or cracked skin; headaches, dizziness and numbness; irritated eyes, nose, throat and lungs; damage to liver and kidneys; and harm to fetuses during pregnancy.