A 21-year-old man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to killing two people and injuring a third person with his car during an illegal street race in Chatsworth last week.
Henry Michael Gevorgyan was charged with two counts of murder and one count of engaging in a vehicle speed contest on a highway -- an action that also caused a concussion, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. His next hearing is set for March 11.
If convicted of the charges, Gevorgyan faces 33 years to life in state prison, prosecutors said.
Eric Siguenza, 26, of Los Angeles and Wilson Thomas Wong, 50, of Torrance were killed when Gevorgyan's Ford Mustang spun out of control and veered into a group of spectators during the street race Wednesday at an industrial park. A third man was injured.
Police say Gevorgyan was racing with a second vehicle on Plummer Street. The second driver fled but is still wanted for questioning.
Gevorgyan turned himself into authorities Sunday after police plastered his name and photograph on social media. He is being held on $2-million bail.
Gevorgyan's attorney, Kate Hardie, told The Times that Gevorgyan was not driving the Mustang at the time of the fatal crash.
She said video from the street race shows Gevorgyan was standing at the starting line between the two cars.
The video, which was posted on the popular Instagram account 818_1320, shows Gevorgyan using a flashlight to flag the drivers to start the race.
For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA