A man who police suspect is responsible for a five-day series of shootings on Los Angeles-area roadways appeared in court Wednesday for the first time since he was charged with murder and attempted murder.
Alexander Hernandez, 34, did not enter a formal plea at the hearing in San Fernando, where he stood handcuffed, wearing a yellow jail shirt and blue pants.
Hernandez spoke only to agree to postpone his arraignment to Sept. 17 in downtown Los Angeles.
Superior Court Judge Michael O'Gara declined to allow journalists to film, photograph or sketch identifying features or markings of the defendant during the brief hearing.
Hernandez was charged earlier this week with the killing of a man found slumped over the wheel of his truck on Thursday in Pacoima and with shooting at a couple who were unhurt Friday in West Hollywood.
He was also charged with animal cruelty in connection with the shooting of three dogs in Pacoima on Saturday. Two of the dogs were killed; the third was wounded.
LAPD officials said they expect additional charges to be filed in the case.
Police said they believe Hernandez was responsible for the killing of three people Sunday in three separate shootings in the San Fernando Valley and for the wounding of a woman who was shot as the car she was in exited the 5 Freeway on Wednesday in Atwater Village.
Investigators are trying to determine whether Hernandez is connected to other recent shootings in the Los Angeles area, police said.