A dramatic account of a kidnapping attempt involving an 11-year-old boy who supposedly fought off his assailant in Azusa earlier this week was not true, police said Wednesday.
In a short statement, Azusa police said they were “confident no attempted kidnapping occurred" but did not provide any explanation.
"Due to the age of the child involved and the sensitivity of the investigation, no additional information may be released,” police said in the statement.
Police had previously said they were searching for suspects in what appeared to be a frighteningly bold attempt to snatch the child Monday night in the 300 block of North San Gabriel Avenue.
Police said they had received a call from the boy’s mother Monday night and were told -- it’s unclear if by the mother or her son -- that the boy was riding his bicycle when the passenger of a minivan jumped out from behind him and tried to abduct him.
It’s unclear why police were told there was a kidnapping attempt. Officials said they learned the attempt never happened as a result of a detective’s follow-up investigation.
For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.