"We're getting the published research, which includes a list," said Jeff Millman, spokesman for Mayor Eric Garcetti. "There will be additional discussions with the UC researchers after publication about how the city might use this data."
It remains unclear whether the researchers, led by
Structural engineers have said hundreds could die if even one concrete building collapsed. Seismic experts say obtaining a list like Moehle's is critical for the city to begin tackling the problem.
The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety asked for the list at the direction of Garcetti.
In a joint statement after Tuesday's meeting, the UC researchers and the mayor's office said: "The department and the researchers agreed to coordinate regarding how the city might use data generated by the study following scientific publication."
The list of buildings was produced by Moehle's team as part of an ongoing study backed by a $3.6-million grant from the National Science Foundation. By the most conservative estimate, as many as 5%, or 75 buildings, could collapse in a major earthquake, according to the scientists' figures.
Garcetti has told The Times that seeing the list would be helpful to the city.
"I think it would be helpful to see, as long as people understand … that it's not definitive," the mayor said last month.
In Los Angeles, several attempts to identify the city's vulnerable concrete buildings have failed over the last 40 years after opposition from property owners. A report in The Times last month refocused political attention on the issue.
"Public safety is our top priority and we look forward to analyzing this as part of our work to protect the city," Raymond Chan, the city's top building official, said in a statement.