Ying Wu and Ming Qu

USC Prseident C. L. Max Nikias bows before images of victims Ying Wu and Ming Qu during a memorial service in the Shrine Auditorium on April 18, 2012. (Luis Sinco, Los Angeles Times)

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge ruled Monday that two men will stand trial for murder in the deaths of two USC graduate students from China who were shot in an apparent robbery.

Judge Stephen A. Marcus said that there was "more than enough" evidence tying Bryan Barnes, 21, and Javier Bolden, 20, to the April 11, 2012, slayings.

Ying Wu and Ming Qu, both 23, were fatally shot as they sat in a BMW parked outside a house near the campus. The students' cellphones had been stolen.

Prosecutors say Barnes sold one phone to a store. The other phone was recovered at the residence where he was arrested, they said.

Using shell casings recovered at the scene, investigators also connected Barnes and Bolden to an earlier shooting in which one victim was shot eight times. Bolden was tied to another shooting in which two people were wounded. Marcus ordered them to stand trial in connection with those shootings as well.

The killing of Wu and Qu rattled the university community and attracted international attention.

In an a preliminary hearing that dragged on a week, prosecutors painted a picture of Barnes and Bolden as a hard-partying pair others described as like brothers.

Prosecutors played a recording of a May 2012 wiretapped phone call between Barnes and Bolden, in which they apparently discussed the attack on the students.

Marcus said he found the call to be a "critical" piece of evidence.

Barnes and Bolden are set to be arraigned on Nov. 7.

ALSO:

Orange County brush fire containment increases to 40%

WWII-era blimp hangar's partial collapse triggers helium leak

Surfer attacked by shark off California coast near Humboldt Bay

jill.cowan@latimes.com

Twitter: @jillcowan