Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Antonio Barreto Jr. found there was sufficient evidence for
Campbell also faces 17 counts of assault with deadly weapon, including three with great bodily injury, and 10 counts of hit-and-run. Prosecutors had previously listed the number of people injured in the alleged attack as 16.
Campbell turned himself in to Santa Monica police an hour after the incident Aug. 3.
Witness testimony bolstered surveillance video footage that shows Campbell’s 2008 Dodge Avenger ramming past a barrier post onto the beachfront pedestrian walkway before striking people as it careened for at least half a mile. Witnesses testified the car appeared to deliberately strike people -- even as they tried to avoid it -- while zigging and zagging down the boardwalk. They said the driver didn't honk or offer any warnings.
The car rammed over an automated teller machine, turned over tents and tables and tossed jewelry and other wares into the air.
Public defender Philip Dube has argued the situation was an accident, contending the recently purchased car had issues with a spring on the shift lever and Campbell, who was parked illegally, struggled to get the vehicle out of its parking gear that day.
When the car pushed forward, Campbell, who has a history of
On Wednesday, the judge declined to disregard evidence from a reputed drug dealer who said Campbell and an unknown individual approached him on the boardwalk to buy
Campbell is scheduled to be arraigned on the updated charges Jan. 22. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.