The Athletics have agreed to a 10-year lease extension to stay in Oakland, the team and city officials announced Tuesday.
After reviewing several modifications made by the Oakland City Council last week, team owner Lew Wolff said he agreed to the terms of the lease to keep the team playing at the Oakland Coliseum.
The deal must still be approved by the Alameda County Board of Supervisors on July 29. The board has previously announced its support.
The extension already has been approved by the board of the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum Authority, a government entity that oversees the Coliseum. The deal is expected to bring in an estimated $20 million to the city and county.
"We appreciate the cooperation and efforts of Oakland city officials in this process and are optimistic that our negotiations have led to a fair and mutually beneficial relationship," the A's said in a statement. "Most of all, we are happy for our great fans who, pending the county's vote, will know that the Oakland Athletics will continue to play its games at O.co Coliseum."
As part of the new lease, city leaders say the team agrees to stay in Oakland for at least two years and face a $1.6 million per year penalty if it leaves before the lease is up. The deal also requires that the team engage in good-faith discussions about building a new ballpark in Oakland.
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig called the deal an important development in keeping the Athletics in Oakland over the long term.
"We had a few tough moments, but overall I sensed the last week it was going in the right direction," Selig said Tuesday while speaking in Pittsburgh. "I'm very pleased. It's one step, one important step, to overall solving that problem."
Yankees get Headley
Trying to boost one of the weakest lineups in the American League, the New York Yankees acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the San Diego Padres for rookie infielder Yangervis Solarte and minor league pitcher Rafael De Paula.
He will become the everyday starter at a spot that's been a question mark for New York all year following the season-long suspension of Alex Rodriguez.
"I don't think we're getting a big thumper," General Manager Brian Cashman said. "But I do think we're getting an upgrade and a professional at-bat."
The 30-year-old Headley, drafted by the Padres in 2005, can become a free agent after this season. The switch-hitter was batting .229 with seven homers and 32 RBIs but has a .339 average with six extra-base hits in 13 games since July 4. He was a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger winner two years ago, when he had a huge second half and hit .286 with 31 homers and an NL-leading 115 RBIs.
Major league batting leader Troy Tulowitzki has been placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Colorado Rockies because of a left hip flexor strain. The 29-year-old All-Star shortstop was hurt while running out a grounder at Pittsburgh on Saturday night. He was held out of the next two games before being placed on the disabled list, retroactive to Sunday. He is hitting .340 and is third in the NL with 21 home runs. ... The Chicago Cubs took another step toward the future, designating second baseman Darwin Barney for assignment. The 28-year-old Barney won a Gold Glove in the 2012, when his 141 consecutive games without an error tied a major league record. But he regressed noticeably at the plate and, with the recent promotion of Arismendy Alcantara and other infield prospects on the way, he no longer fit in the team's plan. ... Athletics right fielder Josh Reddick returned from a second stint on the disabled list because of an injured right knee. ... Texas Rangers catcher Geovany Soto has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right groin, less than a week after he returned from right knee surgery. ... The Tampa Bay Rays placed right-handed pitcher Joel Peralta on the 15-day disabled list with an undisclosed illness.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times