Floyd Mayweather Jr. has massive amounts of cash to count, but the fun is nearly over.
With Mayweather previously committed to keeping his Sept. 12 date for the sixth and final fight of his incredibly lucrative deal with Showtime, the process of selecting his next opponent is at hand.
Showtime Vice President Stephen Espinoza told The Times on Thursday that Mayweather (48-0) will "decide in the very near future so we can get moving," on a bout that’s expected to be held at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The leading candidate to oppose Mayweather is former welterweight champion Andre Berto (30-3, 23 knockouts), The Times has learned.
In March, Berto, 31, knocked out Josesito Lopez in Ontario to cap a comeback from a career-threatening shoulder injury.
Another Mayweather option is England’s Amir Khan, the former junior welterweight world champion who has beaten former welterweight champion Devon Alexander and ex-140-pound champion Chris Algieri in his past two fights.
According to a veteran boxing official, who was unauthorized to comment publicly on the situation, Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) has speculated privately that Mayweather won’t fight him, but he’s still pushing for the bout publicly and maintains that his observance of Ramadan this month won’t be detrimental to his training.
Mayweather typically trains for eight weeks before his fights, and his selection this time will require more prefight publicity than his record-setting bout against Manny Pacquiao two months ago.
Espinoza said Mayweather will determine his order of preference for a next opponent soon, and then his manager, Al Haymon, who also manages both Berto and Khan, will "try to make a deal."
Mayweather, meanwhile, is said by Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum to be “99%” finished receiving pay-per-view payments from satellite/cable/closed-circuit companies who sold the May 2 bout, which produced a record 4.4 million buys at a minimum of $90 each.
On Wednesday, ESPN.com reported that Mayweather would earn $220 million for the bout he won by unanimous decision, a figure that could reach $224 million when all the money is in, Arum said.
“We operated under the idea there would be $400 million in net income, and that Floyd would get 60%,” Arum told The Times on Thursday.
Pacquiao has earned $150 million, Arum said.
Arum said he was moving toward finalizing a fight in England on Sept. 12 -- the same date as the next Mayweather bout -- between Oxnard’s Brandon Rios and International Boxing Federation welterweight champion Kell Brook (35-0, 24 KOs).
The bout would be broadcast in the U.S. in the afternoon to avoid a conflict with Mayweather's fight, Arum said.
Follow Lance Pugmire on Twitter @latimespugmire