Topics

UC San Diego
UCSD student dies of drug overdose after on-campus music festival
UCSD student dies of drug overdose after on-campus music festival

A UC San Diego student who collapsed in his dormitory room after attending an all-day concert on campus died of an accidental drug overdose, according to the county medical examiner. Ricardo Ambriz, 20, a third-year student majoring in computer science, became "unresponsive'' after returning to his dorm room with his girlfriend. The two had attended the Sun God Festival, the annual open-air party where students can listen to bands and blow off steam before finals. According to an autopsy and toxicology tests, Ambriz overdosed on a drug called 5-APB or "Benzo Fury," a derivative of the designer drug MDA, which is linked to amphetamines. "He was reported...