Hollywood’s legendary Grandmaster Recorders building, where generations of artists recorded songs that became famous, has been sold to a developer who plans to turn it into restaurants or a lounge.
The two-story brick structure at 1518 N. Cahuenga Blvd. dates to 1920, when it opened as a silent-movie hall. In the 1970s, musician Alan Dickson bought it and turned the former Bijou Theater into the Hollywood Bijou Studio.
One of the first artists to work there was Stevie Wonder, who wrote and rehearsed his acclaimed 1976 double-album “Songs in the Key of Life” while the control room was still being completed, according to the studio’s website.
In the early 1980s, nearby...