Ennio Morricone, the celebrated Italian film composer, has canceled his upcoming June concerts in Los Angeles and New York, citing complications resulting from a back injury. The composer had already postponed the concerts from March and has now officially called off his American tour.
Organizers for the concert said in a statement this week that the 85-year-old Morricone has suffered complications from a back injury that he has been recovering from since March. They said that the composer is under strict medical orders preventing him from traveling to the U.S.
"I'm extremely disappointed to have to cancel these concerts," Morricone said in a prepared statement. "I was very much looking forward to my first Los Angeles performance and only my second New York City performance."
Morricone was scheduled to lead a concert of his movie music at the Nokia Theatre at L.A. Live on June 15. Ticket refunds can be obtained through the original point of purchase or through AXS at (888) 929-7849.
The New York concert was scheduled to take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on June 13.
This is the second time that Morricone has canceled an L.A. concert. In 2009 he was to conduct a concert at the Hollywood Bowl but the event was called off.
After being nominated five times for an Academy Award, he received an honorary Oscar in 2007 for his career achievement in film composing.