Thelma Moore's sweet potato soufflé
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Note: Shared by Thelma's daughter, Valerie. She uses drained canned sweet potatoes.
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk
3/4 cup (1½ sticks) butter, melted and divided
3/4 cup crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in half (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) of the melted butter.
3. Pour the mixture into a shallow, 2-quart casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
4. While the sweet potatoes are baking, assemble the topping. In a medium bowl, combine the corn flakes, pecans, brown sugar and remaining (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) melted butter.
5. After 20 minutes, sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and cool slightly before serving.
Each of 10 servings: 348 calories; 4 grams protein; 42 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 20 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 81 mg cholesterol; 31 grams sugar; 63 mg sodium.