Dear SOS: I have just returned from a trip to Napa wine country, where I had the best steamed mussels I have ever tasted at Hurley's in Yountville. They were grilled, then steamed with chorizo.
Dear Amelia: Hurley's was happy to share its recipe, which we've adapted below.
Hurley's grilled mussels with red wine and chorizo
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try this or any other recipe from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen, we would like to know about it so we can showcase it on our food blog and occasionally in print. Upload pictures of the finished dish here.
Total time: 30 minutes
Note: Adapted from Hurley's Restaurant & Bar in Yountville, Calif. Serve the dish with plenty of grilled bread to dip into the broth.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 ounces Spanish chorizo (pre-cooked), chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1 pound mussels
1/4 cup chopped, peeled and seeded tomato
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, diced
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a grill over medium-high heat until hot.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, shallots, garlic and chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots are softened, 4 minutes. Stir in the red wine and reduce it by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Place the mussels in a wire basket and place over the grill just until they begin to open.
4. Transfer the mussels to the sauté pan and toss with chorizo and reduced wine. Heat the pan over high heat until it begins to boil. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley and butter, and season with a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper, or to taste.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Each serving: 721 calories; 25 grams protein; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 60 grams fat; 25 grams saturated fat; 135 mg cholesterol; 1 gram sugar; 956 mg sodium.
SOS REQUESTS: Send Culinary SOS requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or Culinary SOS, Food section, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012. Please include your name, phone number and city of residence.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times