A 1-year-old boy who was kidnapped and taken to Mexico after a violent knife attack at his mother’s house was rescued and awaiting return to the United States, Los Angeles police officials said Tuesday.
The U.S. Marshals Service found Jayden Nathaniel Santiago in Tijuana on Monday evening, said Officer Jane Kim of the Los Angeles Police Department. Authorities are making arrangements for his return to California.
About 5:30 p.m., investigators found the gray Nissan Altima driven by the boy's father, Giovany Santiago-Enriquez, in Tijuana, said U.S. Marshals Supervisor Inspector Al Rios. A statewide Amber Alert had been issued hours earlier.
Investigators arrested Santiago-Enriquez when they spotted him about 8:15 p.m. walking to his car with the boy, who was retrieved uninjured, Rios said.
Santiago-Enriquez, 37, remains in the custody of Mexican authorities.
“I just got a text message. They have him in custody,” said the boy’s mother, Christy Martinez, who was overcome with emotion as she spoke with a CBS2 reporter.
Jayden was abducted by his father about 1:30 a.m. Monday from his mother's home, according to the California Highway Patrol. Santiago-Enriquez went to his ex-girlfriend's home, attacked her and stabbed her new boyfriend, authorities said.
“He ended up stabbing him six times in the chest, three times in the head,” Martinez said.
Martinez’s brother, Octavio Colia, told CB2 that Santiago-Enriquez yelled, “Die, die, die” during the attack.
Santiago-Enriquez then allegedly took Jayden and fled the home. He shares custody of the child with his ex-girlfriend.
Police say Santiago-Enriquez has made suicidal threats and has attempted suicide in the past.
For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.