22-year-old man killed, two wounded in Compton shooting

A 22-year-old man was killed and two other people, including one hit by a stray bullet, were injured in a shooting Tuesday in Compton, authorities said.

The slain man, whose identity has not yet been released, was standing with a 16-year-old boy in the 400 block of East Palmer Street about 10 a.m. when two males standing at a nearby corner opened fire, said Lt. Eddie Hernandez with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

A 63-year-old man who was standing nearby was struck in the back by a stray round, and the 16-year-old boy was struck in the thigh and back, Hernandez said. All three victims were taken to a hospital, he said.

After the shooting, the two assailants ran away from the scene, Hernandez said. He said the shooting does not appear to be gang-related.

The violence came the morning after two other shootings in Compton. Those shootings, which happened about 8 p.m. Monday, wounded a 9-year-old girl and two men. The two men were wounded outside a fish market in a shopping center near Central Avenue and Alondra Boulevard, and the girl was shot a few blocks away near Central Avenue.

Monday's shootings appeared to be related to each other but not to Tuesday's shooting, although the investigations are ongoing, authorities said.

In the last 12 months, 23 people have been killed in Compton, according to The Times’ Homicide Report, which tracks killings in L.A. County. All but one of the victims were shot to death.

Before Tuesday, the last person killed in Compton was 25-year-old Roberto Lucio, who was shot last month in the 1500 block of West 154th Street.

For news about killings in L.A. County, follow @latimeshomicide

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times