The funeral for the man hit and killed last week by rap impresario Marion “Suge” Knight will be held at a prominent church in South Los Angeles, church officials said Tuesday.
Members of the public are invited to join family and friends for the funeral service of Terry Carter, scheduled to begin at noon Saturday at the First African Methodist Episcopal Church of Los Angeles.
Following the service at the church -- which was the site of the funerals of Ray Charles, former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley and U.S. Rep. Julian Dixon -- Carter will be buried at Inglewood Park Cemetery in Inglewood, said church spokesman Michael Ellison-Lewis.
Carter, the 55-year-old founder and owner of Heavyweight Records, was fatally struck and killed by Knight’s truck Thursday outside Tam’s Burgers in Compton, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials.
Knight's former attorney, James E. Blatt, had told reporters that his client was assaulted and that while trying to get away from his attackers, he accidentally ran over the two men. Knight was "heartbroken" over the death of Carter, a longtime friend, Blatt said.
Carter's death shocked many in South Los Angeles, where he was described by friends as a father figure.
“As young black men, we don’t have many people that help us,” said Darcell Carraway, 38, who runs LA Firm Inc. magazine. “This is a big loss.”
Detectives say Knight’s truck also hit Cle “Bone” Sloan, an actor who was hospitalized with injuries but is now recovering at an undisclosed location, according to his attorney. An argument with Sloan precipitated Knight’s reversing his truck, investigators said.
Knight turned himself in the next morning and is now being held without bail.
In a Compton courtroom Tuesday, the 49-year-old Death Row Records co-founder pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder, two counts of hit-and-run and allegations that he committed a violent felony while out on bail pending another case.
After appearing in court, Knight was taken to a hospital for an undisclosed medical reason, Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida confirmed.
For breaking news in California, follow @MattHjourno.
Times staff writers Veronica Rocha, Joseph Serna and Ryan Parker contributed to this report.