Advertisement

Domestic battery case against ex-NFLer Keyshawn Johnson is dropped

Domestic battery case against ex-NFLer Keyshawn Johnson is dropped
Keyshawn Johnson, a former Carolina Panthers wide receiver from USC, inside his home in Los Angeles. (Rick Loomis / Los Angeles Times)

Former USC and NFL football player Keyshawn Johnson won't face any charges in connection with his arrest last month after reports of a domestic battery incident involving his ex-girlfriend at his Calabasas home.

Johnson, 40, was taken into custody shortly before 1 a.m. April 21 when Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies responded to a call of possible spousal assault at his home. His former girlfriend reportedly told the investigator her finger was scratched during an argument over a phone.

Advertisement

A prosecutor, however, noted the girlfriend did not cooperate with a subsequent investigation and her injury was minor and appeared to be the result of accidental contact.

"I am pleased that law enforcement acted quickly and that this matter has been fairly resolved," Johnson said in a statement to

ESPN

. "The quick decision results from the fact that I should not have been arrested because no crime was committed. I did not and would not touch, grab or strike a woman -- any woman. Though Jennifer and I are both pleased that this matter is over, we very much resent the fact that I was ever arrested in the first place. I apologize to my friends, family, fans and colleagues for this matter."

Johnson first made his name as a USC standout receiver before playing in the NFL for the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers. Since retiring, he has worked as a TV football analyst and appeared on "Dancing With the Stars."

He gained notoriety in his Calabasas neighborhood last year for confronting singer Justin Bieber after he reportedly saw the pop star's car speeding through their gated community while children were outside.

Advertisement
Advertisement