Second attacker in Bryan Stow beating pleads guilty to weapons charge

Second man who admitted to beating S.F. Giants fan Bryan Stow pleads guilty to federal gun charge

A second man who admitted to the brutal Dodger Stadium beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow has pleaded guilty to a federal weapons charge, his attorney said Thursday.

Louie Sanchez, 32, pleaded guilty in federal court in Los Angeles to one count of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, said his attorney, Angel Navarro.

Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, 34, pleaded guilty to the 2011 attack on Stow, who suffered serious brain damage and remains severely impaired.

Norwood pleaded guilty last week to an identical charge.

They were indicted by a federal grand jury in March, soon after pleading guilty in state court.

Both Sanchez and Norwood were convicted felons at the time of the assault, prosecutors said. Sanchez had previously been convicted of evading an officer, Norwood of domestic violence, according to court records.

Investigators in the Stow case were serving a search warrant on Norwood’s Rialto home when they discovered a cache of weapons hidden in a crawl space above his garage, according to court documents.  Among the weapons were a 12-gauge shotgun, two semiautomatic rifles, a pistol and a revolver.

Norwood told authorities that the guns belonged to Sanchez, who was keeping them there because he didn’t have anywhere to store them. Authorities concluded the weapons belonged to both men.

Sanchez is already serving an eight-year sentence in relation to the Stow case; Norwood was sentenced to four years in prison.

Both men face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison for the weapons offense.

Sanchez and Norwood are scheduled to be sentenced May 7.

Times staff writer Victoria Kim contributed to this report.

For more breaking news, follow me @cmaiduc

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
68°