Dynamic two-division world champion Vasyl Lomachenko will return to the ring in November, either in Southern California or Las Vegas, promoter Bob Arum said Thursday.
Arum’s in the process of negotiating with two possible opponents, believed to be hard-hitting Nicholas Walters or World Boxing Assn. super-featherweight champion Jezreel Corrales of Panama.
The date will be Nov. 12 or Nov. 26, Arum said.
What matters most is that HBO has agreed to pay a license fee for the bout, so plans can proceed to get the entertaining Lomachenko back in action.
Two-time Olympic champion Lomachenko (6-1, four knockouts) of the Ukraine last fought June 11 at Madison Square Garden’s Theatre, where he added a second belt by knocking out Puerto Rico’s Roman “Rocky” Martinez in the fifth round.
The performance was an impressive revelation of how well a disciplined, powerful fighter can perform at his peak.
HBO would’ve liked more viewers — hence, the delay in finalizing this next bout — but Lomachenko effectively planted himself as one of the top five pound-for-pound athletes in the game with the showing.
Lomachenko previously was the World Boxing Organization featherweight champion. His lone defeat was to an overweight former featherweight champion Orlando Salido.
Lomachenko has sought before to get Walters in the ring, offering the 30-year-old Jamaican a six-figure portion of his purse for accepting the stiff challenge. Walters balked earlier and hasn’t fought since a majority draw against Jason Sosa in December.
The 25-year-old Corrales (20-1, eight KOs) won the WBA belt with a second-round knockout of Takashi Uchiyama in April in Tokyo.
Arum said it’s premature to discuss who could land on the undercard.