The deal was on, off and then on again, all in the space of less than 12 hours. The Dodgers and Braves had yet to officially announce the trade late Tuesday, but Uribe confirmed to two reporters after the game that he had been traded.
For the second time in two nights, Callaspo was a late scratch from the Braves' lineup at Dodger Stadium.
Several other players were reportedly included in the original deal that Callaspo vetoed Tuesday morning. As a free agent who signed with the Braves in the off-season, he has the right to veto any trade until June 15.
When players arrived to their respective clubhouses Tuesday, the deal seemed to be off. Then some time prior to the game, Callaspo apparently changed his mind.
“One never knows what's going to happen,” Uribe said before the game. “Just with me, if I play for another team, I play for another team. I can't control what else happens.”
Uribe, 36, lost his starting spot at third base this season to Justin Turner and Alex Guerrero. He is in the final year of a two-year, $15-million deal. He's hitting .247 this season and the Braves apparently see him as an upgrade over Callaspo.
The Braves signed Callaspo, 32, to a $3-million, one-year deal to be their third baseman but he has hit .206 with a .252 slugging percentage.
The Dodgers have no real need for Callaspo and he could be a candidate to be designated for assignment. In addition to Turner and Guerrero, they recently signed Cuban infielder Hector Olivera to a six-year, $62.5-million deal.
Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez said he was able to speak to Uribe before he left the clubhouse after Tuesday's 8-0 victory.
“He's been great. Everyone here loves him,” Gonzalez said. “He will definitely be missed in the clubhouse.”
Follow Steve Dilbeck on Twitter @SteveDilbeck