A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Friday dismissed all charges against former USC football player Junior Pomee, who was arrested in January.
Pomee, a freshman tight end last season, had been charged with five felony counts, including burglary, grand theft and receiving stolen property, in connection with incidents that occurred near campus.
Pomee’s attorneys, Ira Chester and Melissa Lewkowicz, argued at Pomee’s preliminary hearing in April and at subsequent court dates that prosecutors, among other holes in their case, did not have evidence that Pomee committed the alleged crimes.
A judge dismissed the grand theft charge during the preliminary hearing and Pomee’s attorneys said the burglary charge was dismissed last week.
Judge Charlaine F. Olmedo dismissed the remaining charges Friday.
Chester said Pomee's "honor was impugned by these allegations. His character and integrity were impugned and that was unfair. Justice was done.”
A representative of the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said prosecutors could not move forward with the case because the investigating officer was unavailable after suffering an injury while on duty. The representative said the case would be refiled when the officer was able to testify.
Pomee was removed from all team activities after his arrest. He is not on the 2013 roster and USC Coach Lane Kiffin said before training camp that he was no longer with the program.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times