A fire apparently touched off by a roofer’s propane torch caused an estimated $35,000 in damages to an El Toro home Tuesday, firefighters said.
The blaze at 24301 Twig St. broke out at 11:54 a.m., County Fire Department spokeswoman Patti Range said.
Range said the roofer, who was not identified, was patching a leaky area on a metal corrugated shingle roof that had been placed on top of shake shingles. Flames from the torch set fire to the wooden shingles, authorities said. The home’s owner tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose but was unsuccessful. Firefighters had to remove part of the roof to put out the fire.
Range said it took 30 firefighters about an hour to control the blaze.