Total time: 30 minutes
Note: From chef Michael Shafer at the Depot restaurant. Panko crumbs are Japanese bread crumbs, available in the Asian section of well-stocked markets.
1/4cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise, divided
2 pounds fresh salmon filets
1/2cup finely diced red onion
1/2cup chopped capers
1/4cup chopped parsley
Pinch black pepper
2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 hamburger rolls, lightly toasted
1. Combine the mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and one-fourth cup mayonnaise to make a sweet mustard sauce. Set aside.
2. Pulse the salmon in a food processor to chop coarsely.
3. Mix the salmon, onions, capers, parsley, salt, pepper and the remaining mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Add one-fourth cup panko bread crumbs.
4. Form the mixture into six equal patties, then lightly coat the patties with the remaining panko.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the salmon patties. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 7 minutes total. Serve on toasted rolls with the sweet mustard sauce.
Each serving: 896 calories; 39 grams protein; 43 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 64 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 116 mg. cholesterol; 1,236 mg. sodium.