Mayweather to post Suge Knight’s $10-million bail if he wins fight, lawyer says
Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight could soon be out of custody, but it all depends on if his good friend Floyd Mayweather Jr. is victorious Saturday in his history-making match against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.
Matthew Fletcher, Knight’s attorney, said that if Mayweather wins the bout, he expects the boxer to cover his client’s $10-million bail.
“They’re good friends,” Fletcher said. “That’s one of his wealthiest friends.”
A lawyer from Mayweather’s camp reached out to Fletcher several weeks ago and asked about the specifics of bailing Knight out, the attorney said.
Fletcher said he talked to Knight on Wednesday about the possibility of Mayweather pulling through with bail.
“Suge said, ‘Man, I was really going to pull for him to win, but now I’m going to have to pray for him to win,’” Fletcher said.
Mayweather’s camp couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
Knight pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder and attempted murder for allegedly plowing his truck into two men at a Compton restaurant earlier this year.
Knight’s bail remains at $10 million, even though his attorney requested it be reduced by half. A jury trial was set for July 7.
The quick hearing was different than Knight’s previous court appearances. He didn’t collapse in court, express the need to vomit or complain of pain.
He has complained of stomach issues and an ongoing medical complication after being shot multiple times last year at a West Hollywood nightclub.
His series of courtroom emergencies started in February, when he collapsed and was hospitalized during two appearances. He was rushed to the hospital for stomach-related medical issues and an unspecified medical emergency.
At the time, his then-attorney said Knight’s health problems were serious.
Then on March 20, Knight collapsed again after his bail was set at $25 million. Knight’s left shoulder was twitching and he appeared to tense up during the hearing.
Deputy Dist. Atty. Cynthia J. Barnes said she believed Knight “did it in front of the cameras.”
At an April 8 hearing, he complained to Judge Ronald Coen because he was wheeled into the courtroom on a stretcher-type chair.
On April 16, Knight was taken to a hospital for a “medical emergency” after he was ordered to stand trial following a preliminary hearing.
During that hearing, Cle “Bone” Sloan, one of Knight’s victims, testified that he could not recall details about the Jan. 29 incident, saying he was “no snitch.”
Surveillance footage from a security camera shows Knight’s truck running over Sloan and Terry Carter in the restaurant parking lot. Sloan was knocked unconscious and suffered serious injuries to his head and legs. Carter was killed.
Knight’s attorney has argued that his client acted in self-defense and was trying to drive away because one of the men attacked him.
Authorities said an argument broke out on the set of a commercial about the film “Straight Outta Compton” before Knight rammed his truck into Sloan and Carter.
The production of “Straight Outta Compton” sparked Knight’s anger last year, according to the court documents.
Read the Los Angeles Times’ special edition Flipboard digital magazine Mayweather vs. Pacquiao.
For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA.
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.