A 24-year-old man who was shot multiple times while in front of a Compton home Tuesday night was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Authorities said the man was standing in front of a home in the 1700 block of Graham Avenue at 10:53 p.m. Tuesday when, according to witnesses, gunshots rang out.
When they went to check on the man, they saw that he had been shot and took him to the backyard until authorities and paramedics arrived, according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
When paramedics arrived, the man, who was not immediately identified, was suffering from multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
An investigation into the shooting and possible suspects was underway, the Sheriff's Department said Wednesday.
There have been at least 38 homicides in Compton over the last 12 months, according to an L.A. Times analysis of homicide data for that period.
Twitter: @aribloomekatzCopyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times