Prosecutors drop misdemeanor case against Clippers' Blake Griffin

Prosecutors have dropped misdemeanor battery case against Clippers standout Blake Griffin

A misdemeanor case against Clippers forward Blake Griffin stemming from an alleged confrontation at a Las Vegas nightclub last year has been dropped by prosecutors, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

Clark County Dist. Atty. Steve Wolfson said the allegations against Griffin could not be substantiated based on new information obtained by investigators.

Griffin’s attorney, Richard Schonfeld, said the case against his client was dismissed after his office provided transcripts of witness interviews.

“The State reviewed that evidence in conjunction with the rest of the materials in the case and determined that they could not proceed with the case,” Schonfeld said via email. “We are pleased with the dismissal and believe that it is the appropriate result.”

Griffin was charged with one count of misdemeanor battery in November after a West Hollywood man claimed Griffin assaulted him at the Tao nightclub on Oct. 19.

Daniel Schuman told police Griffin slapped him and took his cellphone after he photographed Griffin and his Clippers teammates.

Griffin didn't say much about the case publicly, describing the situation simply as a "distraction."

"I mean, I feel more bad just for the fact that it's a distraction," he said. "And I don't know how big of a distraction it really is, but it is. And that's what I feel mostly bad about."

Staff writers Broderick Turner and Ben Bolch contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times


11:08 a.m.: This post has been updated with a comment from Griffin's attorney.

This post was originally published at 10:08 a.m.