Sports Now

USC football: Ground breaking on Coliseum upgrades three years away

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden says ground breaking on reconstruction at Coliseum is three years away

USC has control of the Coliseum, but Athletic Director Pat Haden estimates that it will be three years before USC breaks ground on major reconstruction of the stadium.

Haden, speaking Monday to reporters who cover the team regularly, said the Trojans would continue to play in the stadium, so the project probably would be completed over two off-seasons.

Haden also said that if an NFL team came to Los Angeles, “I’d love to have them play in the Coliseum for a few years,” adding that “it wouldn’t be free.”

USC last week announced “a number of significant upgrades” and features designed to enhance the fan experience, including new food offerings, mobile ticketing, pregame clubs in the tailgating area and parking, restroom and wireless improvements.

Haden said Monday that eight of 10 new on-field suites behind the end zone at the peristyle end of the stadium had been leased.

USC opens its season Aug. 30 against Fresno State at the Coliseum.

Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times