No NFL teams are relocating in 2015, league says

NFL reiterates that franchise location is off the table this year

In response to Monday's report by The Times that St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke plans to build an NFL stadium on the Hollywood Park site, the league reiterated that franchise relocation is off the table for the 2015 season and that any move would require the approval of three-quarters of the 32 owners.

"No team has applied for relocation and there will be no team relocations for the 2015 season," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"We are committed to working towards having franchises that are strong and successful in their existing markets. Any decision on relocation in 2016 or later is subject to approval by the 32 clubs. An affirmative vote by 24 of 32 clubs is required."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reminded the clubs as much in a memo last month, preemptively closing the window for relocation applications, which opens Jan. 1 of each year and lasts through mid-February.

The San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders are on year-to-year leases, and the Rams have the ability this month to convert their lease to year-to-year status.

 

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
83°