Montebello Mayor Christina Cortez

Montebello Mayor Christina Cortez, shown in 2011. She said after her husband's arrest that she "would urge everyone and the public to let this investigation take its course." (Anne Cusack / Los Angeles Times / February 18, 2011)

Montebello Mayor Christina Cortez told The Times on Thursday afternoon that she is "very disappointed and, like everyone else, shocked" by her husband's arrest on suspicion of selling methamphetamine.

Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives took Ruben Guerrero, 44, into custody as he was leaving his Montbello home about 6 a.m., officials said. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said Guerrero had previously been observed selling drugs, which led to his arrest.

Cortez said she had not spoken to her husband since his arrest.

“I would urge everyone and the public to let this investigation take its course,” Cortez said. “As a mother, as a daughter and as an elected official, I have supported the education of understanding the dangers of drugs. Today’s events will not change that.”

After Guerrero's arrest, a search warrant was served on the home in the 1500 block of Los Angeles Avenue, which property records showed Guerrero and Cortez own.

Cortez said she and her children were home when the search warrants were served.

Another search warrant was served at a property next door that Cortez said belonged to her 89-year-old grandmother. The mayor said it was "unfortunate" that her grandmother's home was involved.

In a statement, sheriff's officials said: "No one else at the locations where the search warrants were served has been implicated in the sales of narcotics."

Cortez thanked "everyone for their support today."

Guerrero remained in custody Thursday evening at the sheriff's East L.A. station, where he was booked on suspicion of selling meth and narcotics near a school. He was being held in lieu of $60,000 bail.

ALSO:

Residents used rock climbing gear to escape six-alarm fire

Simi Valley fireworks disaster caused by faulty pyrotechnic shell

Two San Bernardino councilmen charged in separate criminal cases

kate.mather@latimes.com