• It took almost the entire draft, but Missouri defensive end
• More history for Denver quarterback Peyton Manning, who threw the 509th touchdown pass of his illustrious career in a 42-17 rout of San Francisco on Oct. 19. That broke the all-time touchdown record held by
• After three years of haggling, the NFL and
For the first time, there were no TV blackouts this season (there were two in 2013) and attendance was up by about 2%. The NFL still vastly outdraws most anything else on TV, and in October the league extended its "Sunday Ticket" deal with DirecTV for eight years at an average of $1.5 billion per year, up from $1 billion. For the first time, the league also had three London games, each of which sold out.
• A series of lowlights led to this highlight, causing players to be more accountable for their actions. Earlier this month, the NFL put in place a strengthened and forceful personal conduct policy, one that sharpens the focus on the problem of domestic violence but denies the players union what it has wanted most — the removal of Commissioner
• In a span of three months, from March through May, the NFL lost three long-standing team owners. Detroit's
• Falling in the
• What started as a disturbing but largely unnoticed discipline case quickly became arguably the biggest scandal in league history.