The San Jose Mercury News obtained an application for a temporary restraining order issued against McDonald by the 27-year-old woman, who claimed she was attacked multiple times over a period of several months. In addition to kneeing her while she was pregnant, the woman also claimed McDonald once choked her.
In the filing, the woman states McDonald became increasingly abusive over the course of their relationship. After their engagement in February 2014, he began a pattern of "verbal abuse and controlling behavior" that eventually led to physical attacks, she alleged.
McDonald was released by the Bears hours after his May 25 arrest on suspicion of domestic violence and child endangerment by Santa Clara police. Santa Clara police said McDonald allegedly assaulted his ex-fiancee while she was holding their baby.
Two days later, McDonald was arrested a second time for violating a restraining order by being at the woman's home, Santa Clara police said. He posted bail and was released each time.
As he left jail for the second time in less than a week, McDonald said to reporters, "Man, why don't you all go home or something?"
Last year, McDonald was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and investigated in connection with an alleged sexual assault. Charges were never filed in the domestic violence case. The Santa Clara County district attorney's office is still considering whether to file charges against McDonald in connection with the alleged sexual assault. McDonald has filed a defamation suit against a woman over the matter.
In April, the NFL announced that McDonald did not violate the league's conduct policy in regard to his arrest in the alleged domestic violence incident last year.
The 49ers released McDonald on Dec. 17 after police announced their assault investigation, with General Manager Trent Baalke citing a "pattern of poor decision-making" as a reason for his release. The Bears signed McDonald to a one-year contract on March 24 before releasing him just over two months later.