Santa Ana Mater Dei, which has won three consecutive state championships and returns Arizona-bound Stanley Johnson, is No. 1 in the preseason boys' basketball rankings by The Times.
The season begins on Monday. Six of the top 25 teams will be competing at the Redondo tournament beginning Monday.
1. MATER DEI. Guard Rex Pflueger arrives from JSerra.
2. ETIWANDA. Guard Jordan McLauglin gets some size help this season.
3. ST. JOHN BOSCO. Tyler Dorsey, Daniel Hamilton and Vance Jackson is quite a trio.
4. LOYOLA. Get ready for the pick-and-roll with 7-footer Thomas Welsh.
5. CORONA CENTENNIAL. Deontae North is going to be best friends with Sedrick Barefield.
6. COMPTON. Isaiah Bailey is going to the same college that produced Paul George, Fresno State.
7. GARDENA SERRA. Tavrion Dawson can shoot.
8. CHAMINADE. Lots of size and talent.
9. EL CAMINO REAL. Winning City title is the prize.
10. WESTCHESTER. Great chemistry makes Comets tough.
11. CHINO HILLS. Lonzo Ball is best sophomore point guard in California.
12. RANCHO CUCAMONGA. Great guards.
13. REDONDO. A program on the rise.
14. CRESPI. Watch and enjoy Max Heidegger.
15. LONG BEACH POLY. Chris Sullivan leads the Jackrabbits.
16. BISHOP MONTGOMERY. Great guard duo in Justin Bibbins and Stevie Thompson Jr.
17. L.A. WINDWARD. Tough schedule but ready to take on everybody.
18. CANTWELL-SACRED HEART. Two giant players from Serbia.
19. SIERRA CANYON. Lots of freshmen phenoms.
20. ORANGE LUTHERAN. A team that will be strong at the end.
21. CALABASAS. Marmonte League title favorites.
22. VILLAGE CHRISTIAN. After Jan. 6, beware.
23. SANTA MONICA. Another team will terrific guards.
24. JSERRA. Lots of tall players with outstanding point guard.
25. VIEW PARK PREP. 6-11 Chance Comanche is very good.
Others to watch: Riverside North, Fairfax, Damien, Brentwood, Westlake, Mayfair, Alemany, Oaks Christian, Oak Park, Lawndale.