Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times
Five police officers were fatally shot and seven others wounded Thursday when snipers opened fire in downtown Dallas during a protest over recent police shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana, police said.
Here is what we know so far:
- Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said "there appears to have been one gunman" in the shooting.
- Investigators discovered bomb-making materials, rifles and a “personal journal of combat tactics” in the shooter's home.
- Police cornered one suspect and tried to negotiate with him for several hours but “negotiations broke down” and turned into “an exchange of gunfire with the suspect.”
- A "bomb robot" was used to kill the gunman, identified as Micah X. Johnson, 25, a resident of the Dallas area.
- Other suspects are in custody, but officials declined to say how many.
- In addition to police officers, two civilians -- a man and a woman -- were shot and injured