Three workers were injured Tuesday when chemicals exploded at a Sony television picture-tube manufacturing plant in Rancho Bernardo.
The 5 a.m. blaze came as oxalic acid and sodium hydroxide--both toxic cleaning agents--were combined at a mixing lab. All workers were evacuated, and the ventilation system in the lab was shut down to contain the chemicals. San Diego Fire Department spokesman Denis McNeill said there was no danger to the public and other buildings at the plant on West Bernardo Drive were open for work at 8 a.m.
Michael Koga, 25, of Poway; David Petsch, 27, of Lakeside, and Gayle Jolley, 25, of Poway, suffered chemical burns and were taken to Pomerado Hospital. Koga was released, and Jolley and Petsch were transferred to the UC San Diego Medical Center burn unit. Jolley was treated for second- and third-degree burns on his upper arms, chest and back, and was listed in fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said. Petsch was release after treatment for burns to his eyes.