Seal Beach

Patients Evacuated: About 20 residents of the Beverly Manor Convalescent Hospital in Seal Beach experienced an unscheduled interruption to their daily routines Friday when an electrical short in a resident's electric fan caused smoke to fill a portion of the building, resulting in an evacuation. Orange County Fire Department spokesman Joe Kerr said the incident began at about 11:15 a.m. at the home at 3000 Beverly Manor Road, and was over shortly after noon. Most of the patients are incapacitated and had to be wheeled to other sections of the facility while firefighters determined the cause of the smoke, he said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World