Prop. 13 Friends Must Refurbish for Fairness

I am a 62-year-old lady who inherited a piece of property after my father's death two years ago.

The taxes at his death were under $400. This year they were $1,500. Something should be done. As a retired senior citizen, how can we keep up these kind of payments? The value of the property (two houses built in 1909 and 1936) was only $89,000, but when taxes were due, it was much higher.

I guess I am just another person caught up in the times. Is there anything we can do?

Catherine M. Dawson

Long Beach

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World