Advertisement
Share

Kuwait Asks U.N. for Protection From Iran Attack

From Times Wire Services

Kuwait said Thursday that it fears an attack by Iran and asked the United Nations to take appropriate action.

In a letter to Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar, the Kuwaiti foreign minister, Sheik Sabah al Ahmed al Sabah, said that Iran has escalated allegations and direct threats against Kuwait after the U.N. Security Council on July 20 demanded an immediate cease-fire in the Iran-Iraq War.

As an example, Sabah cited a July 28 statement by President Ali Khamenei, as quoted by the official Iranian news media, that if “Kuwait’s provocations continue, it will be a target for attack by Iranian missiles.”

In Athens, U.S. Under Secretary of State Michael H. Armacost said Thursday that the United States is considering supporting a second U.N. resolution, one providing for “enforceable measures,” to force an end to hostilities in the war.

Advertisement

Armacost left afterward for the Persian Gulf region. He will be the first senior official to visit there since U.S. warships began escorting Kuwaiti tankers last week.


Advertisement